Monday 3 January 2011

Number 27 – Statins


Welcome to the world of diabetes and a newly-discovered scepticism about the validity of some medical practices! Before I was diagnosed I had had the quite natural attitude that whatever a doctor said or prescribed for me was both necessary and proven to be of benefit to me. However, with the intimacy that diabetes brings on a daily, or even hourly basis, with aspects of your personal health, I discovered that it is important to question and sometimes even refute the doctor’s opinions. As I have learned from others on the forum this is often the only way to find the best possible solution for your day to day health, by tailoring the advice and medication given to suit your own particular response and knowledge of yourself.

Statins are central to the debate about cholesterol levels, fat intake, carbs versus fat and what does most good and what does most harm etc. This thread helped clarify many of the arguments for and against statins and expanded my knowledge about diet and the cholesterol/fat issue considerably, thanks to the input from many other members. On the forum, we do not give medical advice – we are not qualified to do so – but we can give pointers to sources of information that may help us to put forward valid questions to the medical professionals we encounter.

I have been surprised (although I probably shouldn’t be) by the limited knowledge of some GPs on various health issues. I shouldn’t be surprised because they have to know a little about an enormous number of complex topics, and can’t possibly be expected to research and keep up to date on all of them. If we are to stay as healthy as possible then it is up to us to take some personal responsibility and research things for ourselves, so we can then debate the issues with the doctor on an informed basis. This is one great thing that the forum has taught me, and I try to pass on to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment